Bad Salzhausen - source of life
The history of the hotel is closely linked to that of the spa town of Bad Salzhausen.
Bad Salzhausen was first mentioned in a deed from 1187. It all began with the salt springs, which were certainly known at this time. However, the first official mention of these was in 1446. The first person to turn salt extraction to an economic enterprise was Ludwig Knott. He had two saltpans and 3 employees.
Salt extraction experience a boom under Roland Krug. He received the land from the Hessian Landgrave as a fief in 1593. Five generations of this family lived from salt extraction. An important name in the history of Salzhausen is Johann Wilhelm Langsdorff. This salt expert made major expansions to Salzhausen. Graduation houses were built and energy production perfected.
Langsdorff had a waterwheel built on the Nidda, 1.7 km away. The energy generated by this waterwheel was transmitted to Salzhausen using a rod system. The remains of this facility, described as rod art, can be found in the Kurpark in Bad Salzhausen.
By the beginning of the nineteenth century, salt extraction in Salzhausen was barely profitable. At the same time, the famous chemist, Justus von Liebig discovered the healing power of the salt springs. Salzhausen became a spa town. More and more people came to the tranquil little spa town for reasons of energy and health.
The historic building, the regular three-storey central block, was built by Georg Moller in 1826 and is the most famous spa building to have been built by Moller in Hesse.
The side pavilions were added by Georg Moller in 1835 and were joined to the main building with arcades. The fine exterior architectural details include the grating and the friezes; the inside of the building has been completely changed.
The Kurpark is 52 hectares and around 185 years old. With its wealth of old trees and many botanical treasures, the park is one of the most beautiful of its kind. Bad Salzhausen really has two parks. The oldest park was created between 1824 and 1826 with the construction of the Kurhaus spa building. It stretches as far as the railway line in a northwesterly direction and as far as the Kurallee in a southeasterly direction. In the lower part of the Upper Kurpark is the Kurhaus and in the middle, standing between the trees (some of which are over 200 years old) is the Parksaal.
This park was designed by Bindernagel, a surveyor and landscape gardener from Friedberg. The meadows on the other side of the Kurstraße were still being used for agricultural purposes in the fifties. But because all the spas are in this area, another Kurpark was created during this period.
The terms saltworks and graduation room are often confused. A room in which salt concentration is achieved by saline flowing over blackthorn twigs is known as a graduation room. The same facility for salt extraction is called a saltworks. A graduation room can be part of a saltworks. In 1820 there were six graduation rooms in Bad Salzhausen.